Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Picture time!! Father's day mountain edition...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!! Dad, when we talked yesterday I forgot to ask you if you'd opened my gift! If you haven't, it's in red wrapping paper in my room. Don't open it until we're able to talk on Skype again! To celebrate father's day, I'll post some mountain pictures that you'll go crazy over!







We left Cuenca on Saturday morning and visited the Incan ruins called Ingapirca. It was a city that only religious leaders were allowed to live in, and all the stones were set perfectly without mortar. This was our first time at 10,000 feet so it took a little bit of adjusting. On the way down we drove ABOVE the clouds! That looked strange.We then headed off to Salasaca, an indigenous community with very sweet and hospitable people who took us on a hike and entertained us with folk music before we went to bed. On the way to Salasaca we saw Chimborazo, the highest mountain on Earth (higher than Everest due to the equatorial bulge)! We went to a church service on Sunday morning, and because of the altitude I couldn't catch my breath to sing the songs! From the church we could see Tungurahua, an active volcano. They said you can see lava sometimes at night. The church was way down in that valley in the picture.We then went up, up, up some more, all the way to 12,000 feet! Wow.. and I thought it was hard to breathe before! Oxygen please! It was snowing on some peaks we drove over. We saw some RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME peaks, and I took a video because pictures just won't do them justice, but for some reason it won't load onto this blog. Here's one pretty bad picture I took of one... it looks so small in the picture!We went up to look at a lake... it was beautiful and really blue. From the way it was positioned I'm thinking it's in the crater of a dormant volcano. On the way up we passed a bunch of indigenous villages... the women wear skirts and tights and hats with feathers in them, and many of the sheepherders were little girls around 9 or 10 years old! They have alot of sheep, dogs, pigs, cows, and llamas. It looked like everyone in one of the villages had gathered around one plaza, and on closer look we realized it was a bullfight! (as of the beginning of this month it's illegal to kill the bull, but it was still sad and who knows if they actually follow that rule way up here) Now we're at Hosteria Papagayo, an old hacienda-turned-hotel about an hour outside of Quito. It's at about 10,000 feet so it's freezing at night but it feels great in the sun. I have to go now because we're about to go exploring and petting some llamas! I'll update you soon!! Adios!

5 comments:

  1. Best pictures yet, Kel!! Amazing! Those mountains really would be too hard to capture with just a camera. Can't wait to see the vid. Glad you DIDN'T get to see the bull fight though...yuck! Just keep bundled up in your layers to keep warm. Don't worry, we are saving up some great ALA heat for your return. Bet the llama petting provides for some funny photo opps! We love you...glad you are having such a great trip, but we are counting down the days til we see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kels,
    Great photos! What gorgeous scenery, glad you are getting to see so much of the country and meeting the natives too.
    I'm happy that you didn't see the bull fight. When we went to visit Poppa's sister in Mexico many years ago they insisted we go to a bull fight and I still have nightmares about it at times. Very gorey and cruel.
    We've been enjoying Lindsay and Ben's visit with us since Sun. afternoon. We drove over to Mooresville, a quaint little town near here today, but it is so beastly hot we couldn't enjoy walking around to view the scenery for very long.
    Had thunder and lightning tonight, but not a drop of rain. Hopefully we'll get a good shower tomorrow or Wed., we surely do need it.
    So glad you're having such a wonderful time, we'll be anxious to see all your pics. and videos and listen directly to the many stories you'll have to tell soon.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang that lake looks awesome. I want to swim in a volcano...sort of. That would be the creepiest feeling though. What kind of stuff lives in a volcano lake? Fish? Alligators? Smeagle? Plankton? Even if it was empty, it would still be the creepiest thing ever to swim in a huge rock bowl. That scenery is so pretty though, I hope you always remember this trip for the things you got to see. Can't wait til you get back, don't get altitude sickness, and stay safe! Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ola, Kels,

    Your Dad is here and we're looking at all your postings before our HARD work. Ha. The pictures are awesome and those mountains are really something to see.

    You'll be home soon and we can hear and see everything. I'm heading for the ZOO tomorrow for the Trails of Africa exhibition...wish you were here.

    See you soon! yo te amo y muchos besos,

    Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Kelz, Now you've really got me all psyched up about going to Ecuador. Chimborazo is looming there waiting to be climbed. I am familiar with it but did not know it is Earths tallest peak! All of the Volcanic peaks are so incredibly steep. Absolutely fabulous picture.The snow wont bother me climbing...how 'bout you? The other picture of the mountains, valleys and blue skies should be on a calander photo or something. What is the daily/nightly average temperature in the mountains? Subtract -40 degrees when you are climbing Chimborazo with me!! What a great adventure you are having and the cultural experiences are just as valuable as the language skills you are learning. Get out and experience the locals in town and the local food and markets. Looking forward to the entire slideshow whence you return or I shall be banish you from whence you came...(but you're part of me now and I've got myself to blame). Love ya cutes and thanks for my Fathers day wallet and watch!! Too bad I have spent all my cash on you and have nothing to put IN the wallet. Dad

    ReplyDelete