Hola! I'm writing from our hotel, San Francisco de Quito, on our last night here! I need to be quick because they cut off the internet at night and it's never at a predictable time...
To follow up on my llama-petting adventure, we didn't actually pet the llamas. We got close then chickened out because they were giving us the stink-eye. And the stink-breath. But I was completely satisfied about being 10 feet away from one... they're SO funny and always look so confused. Lindsay, I wish you could be here to laugh at them with me. They lay down and stick their heads up like little stalks with ears at the top. Flying by all the llama stalk-heads in our bus gave me great joy.
We arrived in Quito on Monday and we all love our hotel! Like most of the others we've stayed in, it's a historic building with an open courtyard in the middle. Within walking distance are the houses of historic figures that I've been reading about in my textbooks since high school! And most impressive are the churches. WOW. Unfortunately, most of them won't allow pictures inside, but you can find plenty on the internet. By far the most impressive is Compania de Jesus... our eyes went into sensory OVERLOAD when we went in there. Tons and tons and tons of gold decorating all the flourishes on the walls. We saw two spiral staircases at the back, but when we got closer we realized that one of them was just a really deceiving painting, meant to make the church more symmetrical! Ridiculous. Like in Cuenca, there are pastelerias (bakeries) around every corner. I think Cuenca is more charming, but I still like Quito much more than most cities I've been in. We don't get stared at half as much here because they're more used to seeing "gringos" or "blancos". About half of us have gotten sick- most likely from the altitude- but thank goodness I've been spared. My roommate got sick so I moved into some other girls' room just in case it was something contagious, and I woke up this morning to find that the girl I was sharing a bed with had gotten sick too! So... I may be banished as a bad luck charm. Everyone is pretty much ok now, so all of us non-sick refugees are back in our original rooms and pretty confident that we're all used to life at 10,000 feet.
We just got back from seeing some traditional Ecuadorian dances in a nearby theater. We enjoyed it and the costumes were especially cool! The religious festivals with their huge bedazzled headdresses were the most impressive.
Also, a highlight from today... we ate HAMBURGERS and FRENCH FRIES! I love love love Ecuadorian food but I, along with everyone else, was going into U.S.-food withdrawals. And oh my goodness I went to the market and got some tuna today!!! Going from eating about a can a day at home to nothing was more than any fish-lover could take.. and I hear that their tuna is top-notch too. So I'll eat that as a snack tomorrow. Joel don't make fun of me! :D
We're driving to Hacienda Guachala in the morning, which will be our last stop on this adventure! I think the internet is about to cut off so I better go.... I'll update you soon! Hopefully we'll have internet there though I'm not 100% sure. See you back in the U.S. in 5 days!
Really enjoying the posts, Kel! So well written, interesting and great humor! Glad you are not suffering any sickness (well at least not by that post...hope you didn't speak too soon!)
ReplyDeleteI don't think you missed much by not making llama contact. I imagined them to be stinky critters...good enough just to have a laugh at their expense.
As far as seeing the buildings/places you have been studying...what a thrill! It all really comes to life now. You'll always be able to imagine them. I'm sure even if you could have taken pictures on the inside of those churches it would be such an understatement to being there seeing it all.
When you get home (and we miss you so it won't be soon enough) we'll make sure you have plenty of good ol Americana back on the menu! Funny about the tuna! I know your addiction so it doesn't surprise me. We could just have a "how many ways you can fix tuna" week upon your return!
Keep having fun...keep the posts coming as you can...love you so!