Hi again!! I don't know how long I'll be able to be on here... I'm on my laptop now and the wifi is verrrry iffy and slow. I haven't been able to check my email because yahoo.com seems to be a bit too much for this connection to handle or something... so, sorry if I haven't responded to emails! I'm not able to add pictures to this either because the connection's too slow. Sappmom and Sappdad, thanks for your comment and I miss you too! Mom and Dad, YAY I was hoping yall would check this blog just in case I was able to get on the internet in these first few days! I love you and miss you. And, believe it or not, I miss the Alabama summer weather.
More adventures today! If I wrote everything I wanted to tell you, this post would be like 10 pages long so I'll spare you and only go over the highlights. We went hiking through primary (ancient) rainforest today and saw some AWESOME stuff!! Including the "palma andante" or "walking palm" which uses its roots to slowly pull it and move it across the forest floor over the course of its lifespan, and trees with GIANT buttress roots over 20 feet tall.
Apparently I'm very allergic to something in the rainforest because I've never sneezed so much in my life. " Over here at the lodge we're in a secondary (newer) rainforest and all I have is drainage and a little headache, but WOW when we got into the primary rainforest it went all out. I'm all drugged out on Allegra and Ibuprofen now though so I feel fine.
After our hike, we went to a cacao-processing farm and saw how chocolate is produced... I was in HAWG HEAVEN. But I did learn that when they say raw cacao beans are bitter, they mean it. They gave us fermented ones too, though, and I'd take those babies before Godiva! So yummy!
We visited the Yachana Technical High School and the kids there are sooo nice! They barely spoke English but their Spanish was so beautiful and clear that talking to them was just as easy as if it had been in English. Some of us went to help the kids in agriculture (they got to wield huge machetes!), some made shirts with the kids in silk screening, and I went with the group that made jewelry. I made a necklace!
And, finally, a moment that will probably haunt me forever: We were sitting at dinner when Lindsey, who was sitting next to me, started screaming and flailing. As she turned around I saw why... there was a massive tarantula on her back! It had fallen from the cieling. Apparently that's not the first time that's happened either. We were all too scared to do the night hike after that and decided to save that until we get to the Sani lodge.
Well this post is entirely too long already so I think I'll leave it at that tonight... we are all perfectly safe, though covered with a thick layer of sweat, sunscreen, and bug spray! (yes mom, I'm wearing sunscreen... and thank you dad for giving me your skin and NOT mom's because I'm one of the few who haven't burned yet!) Lindsay, I've seen plenty of little fleabitten village dogs and I think of Pip and Chip every time! Even though they're 348930284 times more obese than these dogs! Joel, I hope you're still having a good time in your class and can't wait to hear from you! Until later, adios!
Hey Kels!!!!! I can't even tell you how jealous I am about all of your doings! Everything sounds sooo amazing! I have been meaning to comment, but I have been in Six Flags and at the lake with the dogs! Anyway, all the stories about the huge bugs make me laugh, but I'm sure I would be pretty scared to see such huge things crawling around! Hahaha we always laugh about how the dogs would make great Amazonian tribal dogs, but of course they are way too fat and spoiled. Bajbah would just cry all day. That is so cool that you swam in the Amazon River! Tell Ashley I watched her video like 50 times about you guys intertubing or something...so cool. I hope you get to Skype sometime soon because I really would love to see where you guys are! I'll be online waiting! The dogs and I miss you!
ReplyDeleteHey Kelz, I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the Tarantula story. That was a hilarious!! Did you jump up and shout "Kill it, before it multiplies!!" I am so excited you are having a wonderful experience there. How many people do I know that have taken a leisure swim in the Amazon River? = ONE! I never thought I would hear you say you miss the good ole Alabama weather. That heat there must be really oppressive. Nor can I believe that you have internet access in the jungle. Blows my mind! Well, let me know how the plane ride went over the mountains. Was it double-scary or way cool? And also, to me at least, your nightime jungle tour this evening would be an absolute treasure. I cant wait to hear about that. Take vids so I can at least hear your experience. Pet a howler monkey for me. I love ya lots cutes and I am so jealous of your new cultural experiences. Keep posting! Pura Vida mi hija querida y Mashi.
ReplyDeleteCan't believe that it's only Thursday and you've had so many adventures so far! Glad the allergies aren't seeming to slow you down...I didn't anticipate you'd have that much trouble.
ReplyDeleteWho knew your training from Rabbits Tale would serve you well across the world in Ecuador! Can't wait to see your creation! And did you say real CHOCOLATE!!! WOW!! I'm with you on that judgment all the way. You may thank your father for your skin type but ME for the chocoholic in ya! AS for the spider...sorry for Lindsey (did you get a pic?!) but what a memory! Wish it would have landed on one of the guys...hahahahahaha! next time....... Our week has ended uneventfully here (which is good). Gam and Pop got back from their trip to Branson fine but are having trouble posting so far, as well as Uncle Mike and Aunt Susan. I'm trying to help them but not sure.... They are reading your entries tho so keep it up! Joel is coming to supper with us tonight and he and Dad are going to "play" some tennis...which will probably result in who can bean the other the hardest actually!
Stay safe and keep posting! We love you and are so happy this trip has been a blast so far.
Hi Kels,
ReplyDeleteWe are so enjoying reading your posts and really hope we can figure this blog thing out. Susan told us this morning that she was having trouble so far, but hopefully she'll keep trying. If not we'll just send you email.
Poppa and I watched the video about the lodge you'll be staying in and were impressed with how nice it looks. If you actually eat a grub worm, you're a much braver person than I, although, who knows, maybe we'e missing out on a great delacacy. Let us know as every once in a while I turn one up in the flower bed and I might just want to pop the little devil in my mouth the next time. HA! The chocolate sounds MUCH more tasty to me.
Also the piranha fishing sounds interesting, but be careful, I hear they bite!
Poppa and I had a great time in Branson, but were very tired when we got back home. We saw 5 musical shows in 3 days and when we weren't attending a show, we were eating. Way too much food so now we've got to concentrate on losing the poundage we picked up in MO.
We're so happy you are having a great adventure in Ecuador and are enjoying reading your posts so much. We had several good laughs about the cockroach and the tarantula stories.
Poppa says he wants you to smuggle a howler monkey home to him.
Keeping my fingers crossed that this post goes through.
We love you very much.
Kelsie,
ReplyDeleteI have so enjoyed reading your posts! Sounds like a blast, except for the spiders, grub worms, and giant cockroaches of course. I think I would definately enjoy the chocolate, scenery and wildlife. Mel will be in Quito July 2 with our churches youth group at the Hacienda of Hope. I think they go out to eat at a place that serves guinea pigs, so, I think you have to try that too! Look forward to reading more about your ongoing expeditions! Love you!
Hey Babe,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you really are having a blast in the jungle. If only I could be there and swing from vine to vine and wrestle all the gorillas. Also, make sure you're blood-chocolate levels stay below 0.08 or the jungle police will arrest you for typing while inchocolated, so stay away from those fermented beans. I would love to see your reaction to a cockroach the size of a hand. You nearly had a heart attack when we saw one the size of my toenail, lol. And why does the background of your blog look like a blood splatter? One last thing. Always remember, Homosexuals come in all shapes, sizes, and mental capacities. I met a mentally retarded one the other day...he almost kissed me.
Love you very much, have fun and stay safe!
Hi sweet Kelsie,
ReplyDeleteWhat an adventure you're having! Claire and I have loved reading all about it (except for the cockroach part!) Soak it all in and stand amazed (but watchful!) at the world our heavenly Father has made :) We love you and are so encouraged that you are on such a mission trip. Much love from all.
Buenos tardes, sweet pie. I'm enjoying hearing about all that lovely food (yuk), tarantulas, alligators, birds. etc. Glad you took all of your shots for safety against malaria and other stuff.
ReplyDeleteHad lunch with your Spanish teacher at church last Sun. and she wanted to know all about you
and your adventures and sends her greetings.
Stay safe on those planes and am looking forward to seeing all the tons of pictures.
Yo te amo and adios,
Gigi