Dad, THANK GOODNESS we did not have to ride a bush plane to and from the Amazon. It was a regular express jet! I can't even explain how happy I was to find that out. The ride back from the Coca (Amazon) airport to Quito was pretty rough though. The ride from Quito to Cuenca was very rough and even people who are usually fine on planes said they were getting nervous. I was not a happy camper and had chewed an entire paper cup to soggy shreds by the end of it. But we're alive!
Aunt Susan, you make me laugh so hard! You'll be pleased to know that I'm carrying Germ-X with me everywhere. They did not clean the blowdart gun between people but thankfully I haven't contracted anything bizarre yet! We did go up that tower, and it led to a wooden platform built into the canopy of the tree. It was sooo cool but I'm glad I didn't have to build that!
Joel, I can't believe you hating on my background image. I changed it for you, so I hope you're happy! Let's see what you think of this one.
Joel, I can't believe you hating on my background image. I changed it for you, so I hope you're happy! Let's see what you think of this one.
Welllll, last time I updated yall I was still at our first lodge in the Amazon! After Yachana Lodge we moved to Sani Lodge which was by far everyone's favorite. I mean, how can you dislike a bed this size?! With a much-needed mosquito net!
I wanted to camp out in tents the second night, but not enough people wanted to so we didn't get to do it. :( Some other cool things we did, though, were Caiman (alligator) watching (we were only in little paddle canoes so it was kinda creepy being so close to them!), pirhana fishing (our canoe caught one!), and yes, GRUB WORM EATING! They gave us alot of traditional foods to eat and I was the only one who wanted to eat the grubs... but 3 other people tried them when I didn't die after 5 minutes! The skin tasted pretty good, but when you bit into it a bunch of chunky juice squirted out. (Katie, you KNOW I'm writing this for you, right?!) Not the most scrumptious thing ever, but I'm so glad I did it!!! I was dumb and didn't bring my camera to that activity because I didn't know we'd be doing that. But other people took pictures so I'll get those from them.
Now we're in Cuenca and OH how I love it!!! There are sweets and pastry shops around every corner, so I'm really struggling not to become morbidly obese. I'm looking forward to trying this shop around the corner that serves chocolate fondue for $1! The city is fascinating... most of the colonial buildings have been preserved so everything is gorgeous and antique. The city was built over an Incan city so there are a few ruins preserved around the city too. And the whole shebang is surrounded by mountains! This post is getting too long so I'll leave it at that for tonight.. maybe tomorrow I'll have time to update yall on everything we've been doing here.
Also... tomorrow is the halfway point in our trip! That's really sad but excited to be back home too! :( :)
Hey Kels.
ReplyDeleteI can now perform CPR on an adult, child, and infant. I also know how to hook someone up to an AED and all that stuff. It's getting really interesting now that I'm starting rotations next week. It sounds like so much fun over there even though at least 3 of the worst things on the planet are there: excessive heat, giants cockroaches, and mosquitos. Oh yeah, and giant, poisonous everything else. And I wish this trip were more than half over because I miss you very much. Have fun and stay safe. love you
Kelsie,
ReplyDeleteI am so PROUD of you for bringing your germ-x! I was really worried about that dart gun, but I was totally grossed out by your description of grub worm eating. I think I woke Jake up this morning with my GROSS yelling! You definately need to eat A LOT of pastries and $1 chocolate fondue to get that nasty grub worm guts washed out of your system, and you definately have a big enough bed to sleep on even if you gain a few pounds from the goodies. I think you definately need to remember this trip with a picture book when you get back. Look forward to reading your next post. Much love, Aunt Susan
Fantastic updates on your blogspot Kelya. Keep it up as we are So Enjoying these! What a blast this all is. I really think I want to go to Cuenca now with you as our guide. I. personally, will stick to the pastries and chocolate fondue and leave the eating of bugs to you. Glad your immunity boosters are up to date. We saw the video of your blowgun experience on Ashleys FB page. That was awesome. Dont forget to take pics of the mountains and I eagerly await your Market experiences. Will we see you next on "Locked up Abroad"? Love ya cutes!
ReplyDeleteWow to all this Kel! We are loving all the pics! Sounds like you are turning into a real native there. I'm worrying about the reintroduction to civilization as we know it here in ALA...this life will seem pretty mundane! Bet you feel like one of those Travel Channel show hosts....its so unbelievable all the things you are experiencing! I would be right there with you trying any of the foods tho! ESP the CHOCOLATE!!! I am so envious of what great chocolate you are enjoying there! Did they think of chocolate covered grubs? Hmmmmm..... We watched the vid Ashley posted of you blowing the dart gun...very cool! I love you!
ReplyDeleteHi Sweety,
ReplyDeleteWe look forward to your messages each day, Kels and are happy that you will be able to post even more news now that the power source is more predictable.
What wonderful and memorable adventures you are having, something you'll remember all your life. All except the grub worm eating, that is. I still can't believe you did that!
Eat a few extra helpings of chocolate for me, you certainy don't need to worry about gaining a few extra pounds, skinny minny.
We went to Dinner and Devo last night at church. They were raising funds for the people who will be going to the Hacienda of Hope orphanage in July and projected some photos on the wall showing the area. I feel sure the mountain, which is visable from the Hacienda, is the same one you sent on your blog.
Take care, we love you lots!