Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Picture time! Amazon edition...

Now that I have good internet connection, here are some pictures from our recent adventures!





Dad, let's play Name That Mountain! Hahaha I really have no idea what that one's name is. I took this as we were flying over the Andes on our way to the Amazon from Quito.


We flew into the Coca airport and had a 3-hour motorized canoe ride to the lodge. On the way, we saw many indigenous people on the banks including these adorable little kids pushing a canoe!


This was our view from the Yachana Lodge dining hall, with Yolanda the Parrot observing (kinda the mascot of the place... and she bites...):

Blowgun training! I got 2 tries and never got the target, but I did get a wooden post just behind it! I'm just happy that I didn't inhale the dart!

At Sani lodge on our last rainforest hike, we saw the hugest buttress root tree EVER!!! At the top was an observation deck, and we took those green stairs next to the tree to reach it. And that video is the reason my camera's screen no longer works... it's on strike because I took it out in the rain... but it's starting to show general shapes now so hopefully it will keep getting better as it dries.



4 comments:

  1. Kelz, I dont know the name of that particular mountain. But, I'll bet you it starts with a Q and ends with an A.
    That picture of you with the blowgun is a keeper. I cant wait to blow it up for all to see. So glad you're having a great time and cant wait to see more pics and vids. Did you LOVE the plane ride?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kelsie!! We were so excited to see the pics and vid! It is amazing the things you are experiencing! Blowing a dart gun?! Yes, good you didn't inhale..but just think, if Yolanda gets too feisty you can just use your new skills and take her out!!!! Hahahaha! Wish we could get just a bit of that rain here...wow. Glad the camera is possibly reviving. That tree was worth the effort, unbelievably HUGE!!! (do they have squirrels to match?)
    Ben & Lindsay have gone to the Bama Rising concert tonight...Ben is so excited to see HIS band, Alabama!
    I have to confess...I've been enjoying driving your car this week!! BUT you can THANK ME...cause she was on flat empty!
    Keep the news coming, girl!! We love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelsie!
    What a view from the airplane! How beautiful! I hope they clean that blow dart gun in between uses and I am also proud of you that you didn't inhale!
    How exciting! Did you go up on that observation deck beside that tree? That looks like it would be an adventure in itself! Looks a little shakey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kels,
    So glad you continue to have a wonderful time in Ecuador! All sorts of new and exciting adventures.
    The mountain view from the plane was beautiful and the tree and blowgun practice was really impressive! Hope your camera is recuperating from the shower, we'd hate to miss more photos from you.
    We need rain so badly here. They predict some today, but it's sunny and HOT right now, so we'll just keep hoping.
    Enjoyed having Lindz spend the night Mon. She left about 10:30 Tues. AM to pick Ben up at the airport and went directly back to B'ham, but they'll be back Sun. afternoon until Ben leaves again on Tues.
    Just heard the Alabama Rising concert lasted for 5 hours, ending about 1AM, but I'm sure Lindz, will be telling you more about that.
    We're so enjoying your posts, Kels. Keep them coming.
    Don't know why our posts continue to say "amp" in the heading--I swear I didn't write that, but can't seem to delete it, Sorry.

    ReplyDelete